Friday, October 27, 2006

If Oprah can do it...

Recently I've been more and more impressed with friends and family who have been running in marathons. My friend, Katie, ran in the Phoenix Rock n' Roll Marathon earlier this year, and although I was super proud of her, I wasn't shocked or surprised. She probably only weighs as much as my two legs and she has been running since junior high. So when I found out she ran a marathon, I thought, "Well, of course. But there's no way MY body would be able to do that." But then my friend, Susan, told me that her and her husband have been participating in triathlons in Texas. Susan was never very active in sports before and I had never knows her to be a runner, biker, or swimmer. Now I was more impressed. And then the other day my cousin, Sarah, told me that she ran in the Chicago Marathon last weekend. Sarah's a bit more athletic because I believe she did used to run in junior high and she used to be a gymnast, but dang...again, I was impressed. Finally, I remembered hearing that Oprah ran a marathon once. That did it. If Oprah can do it, I can too! Wait...I'm just now thinking that Oprah probably had a personal trainer and cook. Crap...oh well, I can still do it!! Right?

Actually, I'm not really sure I can do this (or even WANT to do this!) and that's why I'm starting this blog. I figure that if I start telling people that I want to run a marathon and I chart my progress through this blog, it will be as if I have an audience (a virtual one) and I don't want to let any of you down! Basically, I do want to stick to my word. And here's my word: I'm going to run 26 (.2) miles while I'm 26. So, the training is beginning so that I can run in the San Diego Rock n' Roll Marathon on June 3, 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home