Friday, October 27, 2006

Conquering the Treadmill

As I stated in my previous post, I've never run on a treadmill. Maybe this would be a good time to point out that I actually used to run...A LOT! I ran on my high school's cross country and track teams (Katie, from post #1, was my running partner) and I've run in many 5k races since then. But all my running has been outside, which I like. But tonight I had to teach at CSULB, so I didn't get home until 10:15pm. But since I want to stick to my training schedule, I need to run three miles today.

I must admit that I was scared. What if the treadmill shoots me off the end and I land in a pile of sweat on the nasty, very nasty 24 Hour Fitness Floor? I'd probably get athletes foot on my head then or something. Gross! Because of my fears, when I went to the gym, I asked the guy at the front desk to show me how to use the treadmill. He must have thought I was the biggest idiot ever...because as I later found out, it's pretty easy. Up on the treadmill, I ran and ran and ran and freakin' ran some more! I was starting to get peeved...why was it taking me so much longer to run on the treadmill than outside? Ah...I need to adjust the speed. Ouch...that hurts! It was a lot easier to run on the treadmill, but it took me FOREVER.

Now, I was certainly glad to finally be done running my three miles, but when I stopped running I seriously thought I was going to fall over. My brain was telling my body that it was still moving, but my body wasn't going anywhere! I thought I was going to have to ask the guy from the front desk to carry me to my car. I did manage to make it out to the car on my own, and once the dizziness subsided, the pain began. I said my thighs burned like a wildfire yesterday, well, today they burned like...hmm...what's bigger than a wildfire?...the SUN!

Tomorrow is a "rest" day. I plan on lying on my couch and eating bon bons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home