Thursday, December 14, 2006

Why should I pack out my poop?

A: If you pack out your poop, you’ll maintain aesthetic values, water quality, and improve occupational health and safety for the people who manage your waste for you.

Ha ha. Ha ha. Ha HA. I feel bad for people who have to "manage" other people's waste. That is one type of manager I don't think anyone would want to be.

Okay, I know, this is NOT a very lady-like post. I apoligize. It's just that I cracked up when reading about this subject. Why am I reading about this? Well, the other night Abdul and I watched this show about Mt. Everest on the Discovery Channel (is anyone else watching it? it's riveting!). So then I got really interested in learning more about Mt. Everest and reading about it and of course I would never ever in a million years want to climb Everest (nor would I ever be able to) or want anyone I love to climb it, but it got me thinking about mountains and hiking and then I remembered my friend Julie's, husband's friend, Dan, hiked to the top of Mt. Whitney in CA last summer. And so, yup, now I want to do that! Mt. Whitney is the highest mountain in the lower 48 states. And, you don't have to be a super experienced hiker to do it--it's not so much of a climb, as a long (10+ miles up) uphill trek. 2007 will be the year of the marathon. I'm thinking 2008 is the year of Mt. Whitney.

Anywho...reading a bit about it all and came across the Web site that talks about packing "it" out. In case you're interested, check it out at http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/packitout.shtml. Anyone wanna hike it with me?? Don't worry, you don't have to pack "it" out during the summer months--there's toilets available on the trail/camps then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home