Monday, March 05, 2007

It's getting hot in here...

Hot! Hot! Hot! I'm going to use the heat as my main excuse for my disappointing long run this weekend. On Saturday I ran 4 miles with Nicole B. and that went fine--no problems there. But, we started running at around 8am. On Sunday I started my long run at 9:30am, which was too late because it was already pretty hot outside. I ran from my house down to Aliso & Wood Canyon in a round-about way so that it took me 2.5 miles to get there. Once there I figured I would run 9 miles and then head home for a total of 14 miles. Uh...no, that wasn't going to happen without me collapsing from heat exhaustion or just plain exhaustion. When I started running on the trail at Aliso & Wood Canyon I caught up with another woman who was training for a marathon. I tried to talk to her a bit, but I got the feeling she didn't feel like chit-chatting and so I ran past her. I started feeling exhausted and hot, but I felt pressured to keep ahead of this woman. In the end, I wussed out and ran in to a port-a-pottie (gross!) to pee and blow my nose and she ran past me. Now I didn't have to worry about having her on my heels. As I continued to run, though, I continued to get hotter and hotter and very thirsty also. I pretty much knew that this run wasn't going to go well and I should cut it short. So, I ran as far back as Dripping Cave, stopped to rest in the shade of the cave a bit, and then jogged home. So, I ran about 10 miles. But it was not a "good" 10 mile run. I was very disappointed with myself and began to seriously wonder if I'd be able to run the marathon in three months. I need to devise a better hydration and early morning running plan for my long weekend runs. Next weekend I have GOT to reach the 14 mile mark!

Side note: I actually came home from my 10 mile run with sunburn on my neck and arms. See, the sun was hot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home